14 hours of racing with no sleep. Navigating, mountainbiking, canoeing, and lots of fun. That’s ARA!
“The day before the event all four of us wondered what the hell we got ourselves into, but it is one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. It’s really nice that, even as a relatively ‘slow’ team, you are constantly in the race and running into other teams. You can be as competitive as you like on your own level!” – ARA 2018
Adventure Race Amsterdam 2022
- In teams of 4, you’ll do different tasks and challenges. Navigation, mountainbiking, crazy special tasks, canoeing, you name it.
- The Adventure Race Amsterdam (ARA) is a 14 hour race.
- Anyone can join: you really don’t have to be super fit or know Google Maps by head. As long as you have a team of 4 (and are ok with pulling an all-nighter…).
- ARA is organized by ASAC and USC.
- Date and time: ARA starts on Friday 17 June at sunset, you’ll finish around 14 hours later.
- Costs: €150,- per team (€37,50 per person). Including nice surprises along the way, lunch at the finish and an ARA-shirt in your size (optional)!
Want to get in the mood already? Check photos and videos of previous editions to see how much fun awaits you!
Sign up for ARA
- Gather a team of 4 (wo)men.
- Subscribe your team via my.uscsport.nl. The subscription deadline is 1 June. We have room for 40 teams.
- Have you succesfully signed up your team? Give us your additional team information to complete your subscription! This includes information such as:
- Your teamname
- The names of your teammates
- Whether you want a shirt, and if yes: the shirt sizes of you and your teammates
- How many mountainbikes your team wants to rent
- How many team members want to join the ARA training (Wednesday 11 May or Thursday 2 June)
- Does your team represent a study or student (sports) association? Let us know the name of your association.
What do you need?
- A mountainbike. You can rent one via the additional registration form for €32,50-. Rent includes a helmet.
- A compass and protractor.
- The complete list of materials will be published here soon!
Adventure Race training
ARA is a race for both adventure newbies as well as experienced adventure racers. Beginner? No worries: it’s not super hard and everyone can do this! But it might come in handy to practice some basic skills. Therefore we’ll organize two training sessions, on Wednesday 11 May and Thursday 2 June. The trainings are identical and will both start at 19:00h. The trainings will take around 2,5 hours and include a practical as well as a theoretical part. What do you bring? Running wear, some food, a protractor, a compass, a headlamp and pen and paper. Sign up for one of the trainings via the additional registration form.
What can you win?
- Joining a 14 hour race makes you a winner instantly, but we’ll make sure to have some nice prizes for the “real” winners.
- ARA has a special competition for student associations. The study or student (sports) association that ends highest on the podium will win €375,-. If there’s no association that makes it to the podium (rank 1-3), this prize will not be paid out. Please note! You can not spend this prize on beer. The money has to be invested into the association. If your team is not connected to a study or student (sports) association, you can’t win this prize.
What are you getting into?
There are various rounds (mountainbiking, running, canoeing) that you have to finish within a certain time limit. In each round, you’ll have to find as many checkpoints as you can. You can find those checkpoints through coordinates. Smart navigation is more important than speed, as the checkpoints are hidden. In between the rounds you’ll perform hilarious Special Tasks (e.g. silly games, conquering obstacles or robe climbing). Adventure racing is all about fair play, so… no phones, gps, or navigation tools are allowed!