USC updates corona virus
On this page we’ll keep you posted regarding the measures that we will be taking to help prevent the corona virus from spreading. Check this page regularly for the most recent updates!
Update 22 June
Things are finally loosening up. And so is USC. These are the changes you can expect in the weeks coming:
- As of 26 June, face masks are no longer mandatory in USC buildings.
- As of 1 July, the following applies:
- For the individual sports (fitness, climbing and bouldering) we’ll come up with a new type of schedule. We’ll work with so called entry times. This means you book a timeslot during which you can enter.
- There will no longer be an end time for timeslots. You can stay as long as you like.
- The saunas in Universum and ClubWest will reopen. Capacity remains limited though…
- This Friday 25 June, you can expect another newsletter. Of course we’ll explain things like entry times in more detail there! And by Friday everything will be explained in full detail on this website as well.
We can definitely get used to this “getting back to normal”. Good to have you back!
Update 31 May
It’s really happening. USC is back in business. Here’s what you can expect as of 5 June:
- All frozen memberships will be reactivated on 5 June. That concerns these memberships: fitness, passe-partout, yoga ClubWest, fitness+yoga ClubWest, basketball, AMC, and martial arts memberships. You will be informed about this by email on Thursday 3 June.
- For those whose memberships will be reactivated on 5 June, it’s good to know that we are taking care of the days between 5 and 9 June. That means that:
- all members with a direct debit membership will get a reduction of 4 (extra) days on their monthly installment in June. More information will follow in the email of 3 June.
- all members with a membership with a fixed end date will get an extra 4 days extension on their membership. In any case, these memberships are automatically extended with the number of days that the membership could not be used due to corona closure. More information will follow in the email of 3 June.
- Do you have both an Open Air membership and a frozen membership? This way you’re not paying double for the period from 5 to 8 June. :-)
- The sale of all regular memberships will also start on 5 June, with the exception of basketball.
- The sale of the USC Open Air + Indoor Fitness membership will end on 5 June.
- With regard to fitness, the following applies:
- as soon as you have received an email from us, on Thursday 3 June, you can also book group classes and fitness timeslots for 5 June and onwards.
- until 8 June, you can book a fitness timeslot and group class in the Open Air Program.
- the group fitness program will start indoors again on 9 June. We strive to set up an extensive schedule as soon as possible, but that probably won’t be possible on 9 June immediately. This schedule will therefore be extended in the course of June.
- Martial arts classes will start on 7 June. The schedule may be different than you are used to. As soon as you have received an email from us, on Thursday 3 June, you can also book again.
- Basketball training starts on 7 June. As soon as you have received an email from us, on Thursday 3 June, you can also book again. You cannot purchase a new membership for basketball. In other words: you can only join basketball training if you already have a frozen membership.
- Yoga classes at ClubWest start on 7 June. The schedule may be different than you are used to. As soon as you have received an email from us, on Thursday 3 June, you can also book again.
- Starting 5 June, Eetcafé Oerknal will be serving you indoors again. That means the gym in Oerknal is closing (but we have more capacity in the Universum gym!).
- As of 5 June, the following still applies: mandatory reservations for every visit, a face mask (except in the sports areas), a health check and a 1.5 meter distance from others.
- Dressing rooms and showers will open again on 5 June. Be nice to each other, and keep to the basic rules there as well.
- The saunas in Universum and ClubWest will remain closed for the time being. Not least because we cannot (/will not) register you there, and that’s mandatory for sauna visitors.
- All frozen courses of course period 1 and 2 will (in principle) start again. You will be informed about this by email this week.
- The USC Online program ends on 9 June. We are considering adding some online classes to the fitness/yoga program in the long term.
WE ARE BACK ON! So excited to welcome you all again… See you soon, very, very soon!
Update 29 May
We are extremely excited to be preparing the grand reoping of our entire sports programme. Group classes, and even all combat sports / contact sports will be back on the menu soon. After this weekend we will let you know all about it. For now: we are happy to be welcoming you back for your favorite workout again soon!❤️
Update 17 May
It’s a go! This is how the USC sports program looks like as of Wednesday 19 May:
- With your Open Air + Indoor Fitness Membership you can join all outdoor classes and book fitness timeslots until 8 June. The membership goes on sale for all ages on 18 May at 14.00h.
- Did you already have an Open Air membership? Then your membership will automatically be turned into ‘Open Air + Indoor Fitness (until 8 June!)’.
- All regular fitness, basketball, martial arts and passe-partout memberships will remain frozen for a while.
- Most courses will remain frozen. Otherwise you’ll receive a personal email.
- All climbing memberships will be reactivated and go on sale again. Do you have a membership? You’ll receive an email tomorrow.
- All bouldering memberships will be reactivated and go on sale again. Do you have a membership? You’ll receive an email tomorrow.
- All squash memberships will be reactivated and go on sale again. Do you have a membership? You’ll receive an email tomorrow.
- All tennis and padel memberships were already reactivated.
- Do you have a swimming membership? Then you can expect an email tomorrow as well.
- Our PT membership remains valid, at least until 31 May.
- USC Online remains valid at least until 31 May too.
A few more steps until our sports program is what it has to be again. Big. Enormous. Always. We’re ready for it. We’re excited for it. See you soon!
Update 12 May
It really seems to be happening. That we can reopen our doors and you can come inside again. But, but, but. Under very strict conditions, and for just a part of our program. And… It still depends entirely on whether or not the pause button will be used by the government. If everything goes well, this is what we have in mind:
- On 17 May, we’ll get the good news that we’re ready for step 2, which means that there will indeed be more possible as of 19 May.
- On 18 May 14.00 PM, we’re opening the registration for the Open Air + Indoor Fitness membership for all ages! Did you already have an Open Air membership? Then your membership will be directly turned into Open Air + Indoor Fitness.
- With an Open Air + Indoor Fitness membership you can make a reservation for all outdoor group classes and indoor fitness time slots. Indoor group classes aren’t allowed yet. Maybe individual spinning? TBA.
- With this membership you can make 2 active reservations for the upcoming 6 days. But… as soon as your first reservation is done, you can make a new one. So, you can work out more than 2x a week (if there are free spots)!
- We’re working with a no show fee system: this means that if you’re not cancelling on time, you can expect a no show fee of €3,- (or no booking for 2 weeks). Though the first time, we’ll give you a kind warning.
- 1.5 meter is required at all times. Please note: this means that as of 19 May sparring won’t be possible anymore in martial arts classes like (kick)boxing.
- There will be a health check again.
- Most of the regular memberships (and some of the courses) will remain ‘frozen’. This because we are not able to provide a sports program that does justice to the value of your membership, due to the capacity and corona rules.
- When are we going to reactivate our (course) memberships? And restart the sale for regular memberships? For now, we’re planning to do that at the next step: step 3 (see below, update 14 April). That step was scheduled on the 26th of May, but has been postponed to 9 June at the earliest. Of course, you will be informed about all this in time – also concerning a possible compensation!
- About a couple of membership we’re not sure yet. It’s possible that the climbing and bouldering memberships (squash, swimming…?) will be reactivated. After all, you can work out indoors individually and in duos (with 1.5 meter distance). Of course, we will keep you posted via email!
- We’re still thinking of a way how to proceed the PT membership after 18 May. Either way, we guarantee: if you’ll have a couple of PT sessions left, you’ll be compensated for sure.
We can hardly imagine it: a full Universum, a loaded Amstelcampus, a swirling ClubWest. But we’re looking forward to it big time!
Update 28 April
No press conference last night, but a pretty big change of direction at USC. As of 1 May, we will quit with USC Teams 27-, and start USC Open Air 27-. What can you expect?
For you below 27
- As of 1 May, USC starts with an Open Air program for everyone below 27.
- USC Open Air runs until 31 May. After that, we’ll see how the whole corona situation looks like then…
- The sale of our Open Air membership starts Thursday 29 April at 12h. All timetables and information will then be online as well. With for sure: fitness, martial arts and group fitness.
- With your Open Air membership you’re able to make a reservation for the classes you like: so, we let go of the fixed teams idea (in imitation of the Rijksoverheid of course!).
- With your Open Air membership you can make 2 active reservations for the upcoming 6 days. But… as soon as your first reservation is done, you can make a new one. So, you can work out more than 2x a week (if there are free spots)!
- The number of reservations is unlimited on the day itself.
- We will increase the capacity of our Open Air program step by step. So, there will be more classes along the way!
What about the 26+ people?
- We will go on with USC PT until 15 May and with USC Online until 31 May.
- As soon as we’re getting a green (or even yellow) light by the government for outdoor group classes for bigger groups, then the 26+ people join the Open Air program.
Tennis and Padel
- Everyone could already play tennis and padel: renting single courts or making a reservation with your tennis+padel membership!
- On 3 May 11:59 AM, the registration opens up for all tennis and padel courses that start in the week of 25 May. It concerns courses of 6 weeks. Excited? Be quick!
Below, in the 14 April update, you can read what steps the government has in mind regarding sports (indoor and outdoor). Can we go inside again anytime soon? Or at least working out with everyone together outdoors? Really, really excited to finally see you guys again!
Update 21 April
Step 1 in the opening plan is a fact, whoopwhoop! Which means Eetcafé Oerknal will open its terrace on 28 April. We’ll update you on the opening hours a.s.a.p. For our sports program, this first step doesn’t change a thing. Next week, we’ll let you know what our plans are after 30 April. So keep an eye on our updates.
Update 14 April
…but the good news is: sports got mentioned explicitly during yesterday’s press conference. ‘We’ are even part of the official ‘Opening plan: step by step more possibilities’ by the Rijksoverheid. These are the sports related steps out of the opening plan:
- Step 2 from the plan – from 11 May. Indoor sports allowed (under what conditions?). Outdoor sports will be expanded (how?).
- Step 3 from the plan – from 26 May. Indoor and outdoor sports will be expanded (how?).
- Step 4 from the plan – from 16 June. Indoor and outdoor sports will be expanded (how?).
- Step 5 from the plan – from 7 July. Indoor and outdoor sports will be expanded (how?).
Of course, these steps raise more questions than they provide answers. Answers we will only be able to give you in the run-up to each step. Still, we are very happy sports got mentioned so much: our bosses in The Hague are indeed thinking of you! Fingers crossed for the roadmap above.
In the meantime, we will proceed with the things we were already doing:
- Are you younger than 27? And you don’t have a USC Team (fitness, bootcamp, yoga, etc.) yet? Why wait? Because as of tomorrow morning 9AM sharp, the rates will drop by 50%. Check USC Teams!
- Of course, we will continue with our PT membership.
- You can keep on sweating in your living room with USC Online.
- For a while now, you can play tennis and padel: renting a single court or making a reservation with a tennis+padel membership!
- And did you by any chance lose your ab wheel (things like this happen)? Check out this new version of it with socks, performed by Hamza and Nynke. Cool exercise. Nice and heavy!
Next Tuesday, a new press conference. With a little bit of luck, the terraces can go open again – including our nice Oerknal terrace. Keep you posted!
Update 1 April
The times at which you can reach USC by phone have changed a little. Contact us on 020-5258955 during the following hours:
- Monday to Friday between 08.00 and 20.00h.
- Saturday and Sunday between 09.00 and 20.00h.
Update 24 March
That’s a bummer. We still can’t do much more, sports wise. And so we will continue this way a while longer. Check what you can expect from us as of 1 April:
- USC Teams for under 27 will be bigger and better! The capacity will be increased and new teams such as BBB, pilates and yoga will be added. Are you younger than 27? Keep an eye on your email next Monday.
- If you’re older than 27, you can continue with personal training. You can always bring 3 buddies to your PT sessions for free. The validity of all PT memberships will be extended to 30 April.
- We also continue to zoomba from home, with USC Online. With a USC Online membership, you can work out digitally until 30 April.
- From 1 April onwards, the curfew will start an hour later. And days are getting longer anyways. That is why we will extend our outdoor sports program further into the evening: until 20.00.
- At USC Tennis & Padel we’re almost back to business as usual. You can purchase a tennis+padel membership again, or rent a single court.
- Because the curfew goes to 22:00, we will restart the courses at the tennis park on 6 April! However, with a slightly adjusted program. Are you registered for a tennis or padel course? Later today, you will receive more information by email about restarting your course.
- On Thursday 25 or Friday 26 March, a newsletter will follow with detailed information about our corona sports program and the status of all frozen memberships and discontinued courses at USC. Check your email!
We have to deal with this for a while longer. Let’s hope for better news at the end of April. For now: keep going, stay healthy and stay fit.
Update 17 March
We’re waiting for an exciting press conference on Tuesday 23 March again. Can we do a bit more, sports wise? A bit less? Or will we continue this way for a while longer? Some things we cannot control, others we can. Here’s what to expect:
- The sale of tennis+padel memberships has started again. Now that the outdoor courts can be played again, and doubles are allowed for everyone, there is plenty of room for new tennis members! Get that tennis+padel membership.
- Not so good news with regard to tennis courses. As long as the curfew is in place, we will not restart tennis courses.
- What the rest of our outdoor sports program – currently consisting of USC Teams and PT – will look like from 1 April, is still very much a guess. But, rest assured: all scenarios are in place.
- In any case, days are getting a bit longer. This means that from 1 April we will extend our outdoor program further into the evening: until 8 PM!
- Since 16 March you can bring not 1, but 3 buddies to your PT sessions for free with your PT membership!
- Of course, our colleagues at Oerknal are also hoping for positive terrace news and ditto terrace weather. If terraces are allowed to open, part of the Oerknal terrace will be used for sports, another part for drinks and snacks.
We will report here again on Wednesday 24 March. With a program that is as good & extensive as possible!
Update 9 March
Last night’s press conference did not bring much news. But, Rutte’s ‘corrections’ to the current measures do affect our sports program. Here’s our plan:
- We are continuing the PT membership until at least 31 March. Do you already have a PT membership? You now have until 31 March to book your sessions.
- Starting 16 March, you can work out outdoors with 4 people. Therefore, starting the 16th, you can bring 3 buddies instead of 1 to your PT session. For free. And the membership will not become more expensive either. That means that from now on our PT membership is extra interesting for you and your housemates / reading club / hang-in-the-Vondelpark-club (living on the edge!). Get that PT Membership!
- We will continue with USC Online at least until 31 March. The membership fees have just been reduced by 50%: so you can join our online classes until 31 March for muy cheaps. Did you already have a USC Online membership? That has now been extended for free from 15 to 31 March.
- Our outdoor program for under 27 – USC Teams – is now filled for 90%. Very, very cool! Do you still want to join? There are some spots left in USC Teams bootcamp & fitness.
- We’re still not offering new tennis and padel memberships yet. And the tennis courses will not be resumed for the time being; this has to do mainly with the curfew. Both membership sales and the restart of courses are under our attention, so keep an eye on this website and your email.
- Go for a nice 30 minute walk with this new walking meditation by Lies (in Dutch). Peace out!
- And then for something special (in Dutch though). Location manager at ClubWest and USC icon (he has been working here for over 25 years) Rodrigo Coesel wrote his own text to a song by Wim Sonneveld. The result is really heartwarming, for both staff and members. Check out the video with footage from ClubWest, and Rodrigo on vocals: Our gym! An ode to ClubWest.
We get some more room to breathe. Baby steps though. But baby steps in the right direction. Could we start with USC Open Air at the beginning of April? Keep you posted!
Update 2 March
Finally, some good news. At least if you’re below 27. Because as of tomorrow, Wednesday 3 March, we are starting the outdoor sports program USC Teams. What does it entail?
- Individual outdoor fitness on the terrace of Universum, and in front of ASC.
- Bootcamp around Universum and ClubWest.
- Kickboxing next to Universum.
- You sign up individually, but you always work out in a permanent team of youngsters below 27. In that way, we keep the bubbles small.
- Maintaining 1.5 meter distance is not required.
- You will work out 2x a week on the same day+time, until 1 April.
- You’re in a bit of a hurry, because the capacity is limited.
We are so fucking – pardon our French – excited for this. You too? Go for it: join our USC Teams! (Psshhtt: read the information carefully, because it’s quite a bit complicated…).
Update 25 February, 21.45
As of 3 March, everyone until 26 years old can work out outdoors in teams again. In our opinion that’s an unexpected but promising step in the right direction. Of course, youngsters should also be able to come to USC to work out. After all, the majority of our members are students. And the majority of all those students is younger than 27. That’s why we just decided the following:
- On 3 or 4 March we are starting an outdoor program for youngster until 26 years old. At least including fitness, (kick)boxing and bootcamp. Although this program does not require the 1.5 meter distance, we will make sure that you always work out with the same ‘team’. This means: you sign up individually, but you always train with the same group of people. Next Monday or Tuesday, we will explain on our website and in a newsletter precisely how it all works.
- This means that the outdoor program with multiple groups of 2, which we introduced in last week’s newsletter, will not start. Unfortunately, we had to choose.
- Are you older than 26? That sucks in general, but right now even a little more… Luckily, we will continue our 3x PT membership! And USC Online will keep going, at least until the end of the lockdown, as well.
- We have increased the hours at which you can reach our front desk considerably:
Of course, we hope that this is a first step to increasing possibilities for all sports – and for those 26+ as well. For now, these are the rules we get to work with. And we’re going to make the best of it. See you soon if you’re over 26! And see you REALLY soon if you’re under 27!
Update 24 February, 11.00
We had a plan. Everything was in play. The lockdown would be extended. But then: outdoor sports for people under 27? We are still figuring out whether that means something for USC. It will therefore take a little longer before we come up with the program for the coming weeks. Like somewhere within the next 24 hours. In any case, there will be an outdoor sports program. Keep an eye on our website!
Update 11 February
A short update on the snow situation:
- PT sessions at all USC locations have been resumed. If a session has to be canceled in the coming days, you will of course be informed in time.
- The covered courts at USC Tennis & Padel can be booked again! We worked very hard (with the help of some members ♥) to get the courts snow free and dry. You can play again starting Friday 12 February at 13.00h. The outdoor courts are still covered under a nice white blanket, you’ll have to wait a bit longer for those to be ready to play again.
Enjoy the white world while you still can!
Update 9 February
Great weather for outdoor sports. Therefore this update:
- Today’s (and yesterday’s) PT sessions at all USC locations have been canceled. If you had a reservation, you will be contacted by us personally. Of course you will not lose a PT session: we will book this session back to your account a.s.a.p., after which you can book a new PT session again.
- If PT sessions need to be canceled in the coming days as well, you will be informed in time.
- USC Tennis & Padel is temporarily closed: there’s a bit too much snow for a tennis ball (in the hall as well). We will keep you informed about the reopening of the courts on this page.
- The curfew has been extended until 2 March: the temporary measures at USC Tennis & Padel will therefore remain in place. See the update of 22 January.
Honestly, that snow is quite a nice change in our otherwise rather boring corona world… So enjoy it!
Update 3 February
We kind of knew already: the lockdown has been extended, at least until 2 March. This is what it means for USC, your paused membership, your discontinued course, etc:
- Do you have a membership at USC? It will remain paused. This is the case for almost all memberships – like fitness, martial arts, swimming, futsal and climbing. As soon as we are close to reopening again, we will be in touch!
- We still intend to resume and finish all discontinued courses this season. As soon as we are close to reopening again, everyone who joined a course will be contacted. Please give us some time, you won’t be forgotten!
- We will continue our PT program, at least until 2 March. It’s so cool to see you guys are really loving this. We now offer various PT sessions: PT fitness, PT spinning, PT body power, and PT kickboxing. Check our PT membership!
- Note: The validity of all PT memberships will be stretched until 2 March. You now have way more time to schedule your sessions.
- Some USC Online classes are attended by 80 people at a time! That’s really awesome, and that’s why we are definitely continuing with USC Online until 2 March. Get your new USC Online membership here.
- Regarding the extension of the curfew, there’s no certainty yet. If the curfew expires, we will review all temporary measures at USC Tennis & Padel (check the 22 January update). But the 7AM opening remains in effect, at least until 2 March, whether there is a curfew or not. Keep an eye on this page for new updates.
Will we reopen again next month? Let’s just go with the flow… Hang on. Stay fit. Stay safe.
Update 1 February
Without being too nervous, we are preparing for tomorrow’s press conference. This one isn’t as nerve wracking as previous ones, as it’s highly probable the lockdown will be extended once again. If that is the case indeed, this is what we’re planning for the coming period (with everything being subject to change):
- We will continue our PT program, at least until 2 March. It’s so cool to see you guys are really loving this. We now offer various PT sessions: PT fitness, PT spinning, PT body power, and PT kickboxing. Check our PT membership!
- Note: If the lockdown is extended, the validity of all PT memberships will be stretched until 2 March. In that case you have way more time to schedule your sessions.
- Some USC Online classes are attended by 80 people at a time! That’s really awesome, and that’s why we are definitely continuing with USC Online until 2 March.
- Regarding the extension of the curfew, there’s no certainty yet. If the curfew expires, we will reverse all temporary measures at USC Tennis & Padel (check the 22 January update).
On Wednesday 3 February – around noon -, you can expect a new update here!
Update 22 January
Not such good news for the night owls among us: the curfew. This is what it means at USC Tennis & Padel:
- Between Saturday 23 January and Tuesday 9 February, you can play until 20.45h.
- But we strike back immediately, by opening at 7.00h for the time being. So until 9 February, we open an hour earlier.
- The latest timeslot that you can book will be curtailed to 45 minutes, you play from 20.00 until 20.45h.
- After 20.30h you can’t access the tennis park anymore.
But there’s still a lot of room to play during the day. Hang in there!
Update 13 January
In case you missed it (hibernating?): we’ll remain closed for a while longer. At least until 9 February. In this update you’ll find what to expect from us:
- On 18 January we start with a brand-new 3x PT membership (purchase and reservation is already possible!). With a USC PT membership you can book 3 PT sessions – 50 minutes each – with your favorite trainer, at 4 USC locations. And you can even bring a workout buddy for free! Keep in mind to remain that 1.5 meter distance while working out together.
- We are continuing USC Online. Get that membership and join all the online classes you like, until 9 February.
- Do you have a membership at USC? It will remain paused. This is the case for almost all memberships – like fitness, futsal and climbing.
- The above doesn’t apply to tennis and padel memberships, because you can keep on playing.
- As soon as we are close to reopening again, we will contact you to present you with your options.
- When we reopen, courses will be continued. In due time, you will receive an email with all the specific info concerning your course.
We would like to ask you to have a little patience. There will be a solution for everyone – you won’t be forgotten. Give us some time and hang in!
Update 5 January
We are taking into account that the lockdown might be extended after 19 January. And that USC will thus have to stay closed for a longer period of time. Anyway, on 13 January, the day after the next press conference, you will hear from us again on this page!
Update 15 December, 15.00
After being knocked down by yesterday’s news, we got up again. Like we always do. This is how the USC flag is hanging:
- USC locations Universum, Amstelcampus, ClubWest, ASC and Body & Mind will be closed as of 15 December. The entire sports program at these locations is canceled.
- USC Tennis & Padel will be open again tomorrow, Wednesday 16 December, but only for those with a valid membership. No introduces. No single court rent. You can play tennis and padel, with two people. So no double dates on the court, unfortunately.
- Did you already have a reservation somewhere in the next 6 days? It has been canceled. Please note: This also applies to tennis reservations. If you want to play, book again!
- Course classes are canceled and the courses are postponed for the time being, until we can start again. If you are joining a course at USC at the moment, you will receive an elaborate update by email today.
- All memberships will be paused. If you have a membership at USC, you will receive an elaborate update by email today.
- We continue online, with a new and temporary membership: USC Online! With your USC Online membership, you can join lots of different online workouts until 19 January.
- USC can be reached by phone from Mon. until Fri. 11.00 – 13.00 at 020-525 89 55. You can also reach us at email@example.com, or via chat on facebook messenger or instagram!! If your question isn’t super urgent, please postpone it for a while ;-)
- USC Fysiotherapie and dietician Die Eet & Sport continue to see clients. Fysiokliniek Amsterdam at ClubWest is also available. For more information or to make an appointment, see their websites.
We miss you. Already. These are going to be some very quiet holidays… Let’s hope that 2021 will start soon and that we can leave this madness behind in 2020. Cheers to a better year!
Update 14 December, 20.30
Ouch. Even though we had sort of prepared for the worst, this hurts… Sports has been canceled completely until at least 19 January. That means at least the following for USC:
- All USC locations will be closed completely as of 15 December, including the tennis park. Did you have a reservation somewhere in the next 6 days? It is canceled. Courses are also temporarily stopped for now.
- We are looking at if and how we can restart tennis and padel quickly.
- We will come up with an extensive online sports program as soon as possible.
- USC can be reached by phone from Mon. – Fri. between 11.00 – 13.00 on 020-525 89 55.
- USC Fysiotherapie remains open to clients, check uscfysiotherapie.nl.
Tomorrow, 15 December, (goal = mid-afternoon) we will get back to you with a more elaborate update, on this page and with a newsletter. Keep you posted! For now: take care and hang in there ♥
Update 14 December, 14.00
Oh no, those leaked measures do not bode well… Even though nothing is entirely certain yet, we are preparing for the worst. After tonight’s press conference you will hear more from us via this update page!
Update 27 November, 13.00
As of 1 December, face masks are mandatory. This doesn’t change much, as it was already highly advised to wear one. Now you really have to. So: When entering USC buildings you wear a face mask. You wear it in all areas of the building, with the exception of the sports areas. As soon as you enter a sports area, you can take off your face mask. This applies to everyone 13 years and older.
- If you refuse to wear a face mask, you may be denied access to our buildings.
- Did you forget to bring a face mask? Buy one at a USC front desk.
Not fun, so we’d better make the most of it… Starting Monday 30 November on all USC insta accounts: The Masked Gymmer! Do you know which USC trainer is hiding behind the mask? Let us know and you might win yourself a USC style face mask.
Update 18 November 15.40
We couldn’t believe it until we heard it was for sure, but all group classes can start again this Thursday 19 November! We are going back to the situation from before 4 November, but after 15 October. Got it? No worries if you don’t though. In this newsletter we will tell you exactly what is back on our program, what remains the same, and what still isn’t possible.
What is back on our program?
- All group fitness classes will start again on 19 November.
- The (adapted) martial arts program will start again on 19 November as well.
- All yoga classes at ClubWest will start again on 19 November.
- You can join slacklining again with your passe-partout, climbing or bouldering membership.
- You can play doubles again (Tennis & Padel).
- All discontinued courses from period I will be completed in the week of 23 November. You will receive an email.
- The course registration for period II has finally opened. All these courses will start in the week of 30 November.
- With your USC swimming membership you can swim in Sportfondsenbad Oost and/or het Marnix.
What remains the same?
- Individual fitness
- Tennis & padel
- Individual spinning is definitely a keeper! Although the schedule will be reduced a little bit.
- The online group fitness offer will shrink quite a bit, but some classes will remain on schedule.
What is still not possible?
- Squash (because according to us, it is not possible to keep a 1.5 meter distance at all times…)
- Martial arts courses. Although there is an adapted martial arts program you can join with your martial arts membership.
- Showering and changing. Changing is technically possible, as long as you’re creative: the dressing rooms are closed.
Do you have a USC membership for one of these sports? It’s too bad you aren’t able to play yet. We will definitely keep you posted if we are able to start doing things again. You won’t be forgotten! You can count on that.
Update 18 November 11.45
A happy day, with equally happy ‘group class news’. We will inform you asap – somewhere this afternoon – on the consequences for USC!
Update 11 November 12.00
Tuesday 17 November there will be a new corona press conference. We are really hoping to get some exciting news regarding the possibility to restart all our group classes and courses! But how about the current situation at USC?
- All group classes (including all courses) are removed from our schedule till 18 November.
- All group classes from 19 November onwards remain scheduled, although signing up is not possible.
- If the Dutch government decides we are good to go again on 17 November, we will:
- make sure that you will be able to sign up for all our group classes ASAP;
- make sure all our courses are for sale ASAP. Our goal is to start the sale again on November 18th. We will keep you posted!
- make sure our courses won’t start in the week of 16 November, but in the week of 30 November instead.
Until then: keep working out in the gym, challenge yourself on a spinning bike, climb and boulder on our colorful walls, and play some singles tennis or padel (with 50% off!). Because luckily all this is still possible at USC!
Update 4 November 15.30
The decision is made, we have to cancel all group classes. A decision that we respect fully. You can still train individually, but all group fitness classes, exotic martial arts and dance styles are unplugged – at least until 18 November. Ouch! These are the measures that USC is taking:
- Today, Wednesday 4 November, our sports program (including all courses) will continue as planned.
- Course sales for course period 2 will be postponed until further notice. If the measures are scaled back in 2 weeks (as of 19 November), course period 2 will not start in the week of 16 November, but in the week of 30 November. In that case, sales will start on Thursday 19 November. Have you already purchased a course? You will receive an email with info a.s.a.p.!
- All group classes at USC will be canceled as of Thursday 5 November up to Wednesday 18 November. Do you have a reservation during that time? It will automatically be canceled.
- All courses of course period 1 will be discontinued as of Thursday 5 November. You will receive an email with info as soon as possible!
- What can you still do at USC?
- Individual training in the gyms at Amstelcampus, ASC, ClubWest and Universum (check the fitness memberships).
- We want to increase the fitness capacity as quickly as possible.
- At ClubWest, for example, we are thinking about creating an extra fitness room on the top floor.
- Another idea is to place spinning bikes in the studios, where you can cycle individually with your own music (and with a reservation only, of course).
- We are working on an extensive online group fitness schedule. You can join these classes with your fitness membership. You can already book the first classes in this online group fitness schedule, and more classes will be added soon!
- These online yoga courses starting on 16 and 18 November.
- Bouldering individually or in pairs at Universum (check the bouldering memberships).
- Climbing in pairs at Universum (check the climbing memberships).
- You can play tennis and padel. But no doubles. And the courses will be discontinued, as mentioned, as of 5 November.
- Your sport isn’t mentioned above? In that case, this part of our sports offer will not be on the program between Thursday 5 November and Wednesday 18 November.
- Individual training in the gyms at Amstelcampus, ASC, ClubWest and Universum (check the fitness memberships).
- What happens with your membership? That depends on the membership you have at USC. You can expect an email from us tomorrow, with information that specifically applies to you. Check your spam as well! Please wait for that email before you contact us. Haven’t received anything yet on Friday 6 November? Let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are starting to get good at this. Navigating through circumstances that are changing constantly. But even though things change for the umpteenth time, we will still do everything we can to keep you all on board. Hang in! ❤️
Update 3 November 19.30
Good mercy, heavy news. Tomorrow, 4 November between 12.00 – 13.00, we will give you a complete update of all the consequences tonight’s press conference has on our sports program and your membership!
Update 21 October 11.00
We’ve recovered from last week’s press conference a little. As always, a few days after some bad news, we get back on our feet. And we have some positive news for you:
- No beers, but a freaking gym in Eetcafé Oerknal! As of 21 October 14.30h we have 20 extra fitness spots here – corona proof of course. Check the set-up (video) and book your timeslot in the fitness schedule.
- We will start with an adapted martial arts program on Monday 26 October. At 1.5 meter distance. You can’t hit anyone. Unfortunately. Check out the martial arts program!
- On Wednesday 28 October we will start again with some online group fitness classes. You can join with your fitness membership, and you will soon be able to make a reservation in the group fitness schedule.
We’re taking steps… Hang in!
Update 14 October 11.00
Last night was as nerve wracking as watching the Dutch soccer team play a World Cup finale. Here are the consequences for USC:
- We decided to postpone the course sale until further notice. After the evaluation of the RIVM regarding the effect of the new corona measures, we will decide if and which courses can start in the week of 16 November.
- As of Thursday 15 October, the number of participants per class / room will be reduced to a maximum of 30. For USC, this means that there will be less capacity in the fitness areas of Universum and ClubWests. If timeslots are overbooked in the upcoming days, we will contact you (but it seems to be OK!).
- As a result of the above, for now you can only have 2 active reservations on your name in the consecutive 6 days, instead of 4. Check the reservation rules to see how this works: you can still work out more than twice a week, also with this new measure!
- We also have some good news: (almost) all group classes can continue. For group classes of individual sports where a distance of 1.5 meters can be guaranteed (such as yoga, spinning, dance, zumba), the maximum number of 30 people per room indoors applies.
- All group classes in our fitness areas (synrgy, abs, HIIT etc.) are canceled effective Thursday 15 October.
- The futsal competition will be discontinued effective immediately. Participants will be informed by the competition management.
- Basketball will stop effective immediately. Participants will be informed by e-mail today.
- Squash will stop effective immediately. Participants will be informed by e-mail.
- All martial arts classes are canceled. Do you have a martial arts membership? You can expect an update via email today.
- All martial arts courses will be discontinued effective immediately. You will be informed about this by e-mail today.
- The climbing beginners courses will be discontinued effective immediately. All other climbing and bouldering courses still continue as planned.
- We are still waiting for an update on the exact interpretation of measures regarding squash. You will be informed via mail a.s.a.p.
- Tennis and padel will continue! But, we will be publishing some additional corona house rules a.s.a.p.. You will also be informed by mail.
- The dressing rooms and showers of Universum, ClubWest, Amstelcampus, ASC, USC Body & Mind and USC Tennis will be closed as of Thursday 15 October. Take your – preferably not too big – bag into the sports area!
- We are considering an online group class program that you can join with your USC membership. To be continued!
- Expecting an email? Also keep an eye on your spam!
As you can see, many classes and sports can still continue at USC. And although we do not want to be in our government’s shoes, we still want to make a little appeal: stick to the rules and prevent our dear country and ditto sports club from having to go into complete lockdown in 2 weeks! ❤️
Update 13 October 12.15h
While we await tonight’s press conference, we mentally prepare for new restrictions to our sports program. Nothing is certain yet. But the following things are on our agenda now:
- The start of the course sale of course period II, which was scheduled for 12:00 today, has been postponed by at least a day. We want to make sure which courses we can offer before we make them available online.
- We assume that a number of courses from course period I cannot be finished. We will contact you by email if you are joining a course that cannot be finished.
- The number of participants per class / room will probably be reduced to a maximum of 30. For USC, this means that there will be less capacity in the fitness areas of Universum and ClubWest. We are considering other measures.
- We assume that we’ll have to discontinue the futsal competition soon. The competition management will contact you by email as soon as we know more.
- We assume that we’ll have to discontinue or modify training sessions for all contact sports. Sports like basketball and all martial arts. Of course you will be informed by email if you have a membership for one of those sports.
Again: everything is still very uncertain. But it is good to mentally prepare yourself… Take care!
Update 29 September 13.00h
While none of this is fun, we are gonna have to deal with it. These are the extra measures that apply at USC from 6 p.m. tonight:
- When entering USC buildings you wear a face mask. You wear it in all areas of the building, with the exception of the sports areas. As soon as you enter the gym or a studio, you can take off your face mask. This applies to everyone 13 years and older. Note: USC will – as far as possible – aks you to wear a face mask, but we will not send anyone away. We assume that everyone cooperates on their own initiative.
- Since our front desk employees are behind a splash screen, they are not wearing a face mask. Of course they keep a 1.5 meter distance from each other.
- All catering facilities in USC buildings close completely. This applies to Eetcafé Oerknal at Universum. The Amstelcampus café at Amstelcampus sport & fitness. The catering facility at ClubWest. And the canteen at USC Tennis. We’re very sorry, but for the time being you can’t even get a cup of coffee after your workout.
- The dressing rooms will remain open for now. If possible, please change and shower at home. A bag is allowed into the gym. With regards to Universum: don’t just choose dressing rooms 2 and 3 (we know, they are so nice and close), but pick one a little further into the hallway.
- The number of available spots per timeslot / per class remains unchanged. The sports industry is excluded from the maximum of 30 people indoors. Of course the capacity remains limited due to the 1.5 meter distance rule.
Help our country recover and stick to the guidelines!
Update 29 September 10.00h
We haven’t seen you here for a long time. But, not long enough if you ask us. Anyway. Yesterday’s press conference will inevitably result in new measures at USC as well. We will inform you asap via this page.
Update 25 June
The entire USC team was biting its nails off yesterday evening at 19.00. Around 19.07 we all popped the champagne: we can open again! And not just a little. This is what you can expect from us:
- Sportcentrum Universum, ClubWest and ASC will reopen on 1 July.
- Amstelcampus starts with group fitness on 1 July. The gym, for individual fitness, will reopen on 6 July. This is due to a leakage in the fitness area.
- USC Tennis has been open since 11 May.
- USC Body & Mind offers online mindfulness and yoga courses this summer.
- Today (or no later than tomorrow), all members with a valid USC membership on 14 March will receive a newsletter.
- All fitness / squash / combat sports / passe-partout / yoga / climbing / and bouldering memberships will be reactivated on 1 July. With these memberships you can start training again on 1 July, unless the end date of your membership has already expired. With the arrangement in the newsletter that you will receive today or tomorrow, you can indicate whether you want to extend your membership free of charge. So check your email, including your spam folder! Haven’t received an email while you should have? Let us know: email@example.com!
- Our Summer Program is online. This program consists of Summer Memberships and Summer Courses.
- There are Summer Memberships of multiple sports, including fitness. With all Summer Memberships you can work out until 31 August.
- Do you have an Open Air Membership with an end date after 30 June 2020? That membership will automatically be changed to a Fitness Summer Membership.
- Various intensive courses start during the summer.
- Check the entire Summer Program + fees, dates and timetables.
- We do not offer memberships other than Summer Memberships in July and August. A new membership system will start on 1 September.
- Additional corona house rules apply. Please read those before visiting USC.
- Reservation rules apply.
- From 1 July, you make a reservation for every visit in the timetable on your sports page.
- From 1 July, you can make a maximum of 4 reservations in the consecutive 6 days.
- On the day itself, the number of reservations remains unlimited.
- As of 1 July, you can choose how to enter USC facilities: with your finger scan or with the new My USC access app. With the app, you don’t have to touch anything with your fingers: corona proof! Download the My USC access app: Android and iOS (search the store).
- If you use the My USC access app, you can easily scan the QR code at the entrance.
- Fitness will move back indoors completely from 1 July.
- Group fitness will partly continue outdoors. Check the group fitness timetable!
- Showers and locker rooms in Universum, ClubWest and USC Tennis will be open. The saunas will remain closed until 1 September.
It’s really happening… See you soon!
Update June 17
Although we communicated yesterday that our Amstelcampus location would also reopen on 1 July (subject to change), this is still unsure. Believe it or not: due to a serious leakage, the fitness floor of Amstelcampus must be renewed. We will do everything to reopen on 1 July. It looks like we can offer a group fitness program starting 1 July either way.
Update 16 June
We are more than ready. Open on 1 July! Unless they tell us that it is not going to happen at the press conference on 24 June, you can expect this from us:
- USC locations Universum (including the climbing and bouldering gyms), ClubWest, ASC will reopen on 1 July. Amstelcampus will hopefully be able to reopen in the course of the month July. USC Tennis has already reopened on 11 May. USC Body & Mind offers online mindfulness and yoga courses this summer.
- All fitness / passe-partout / yoga / climbing / and bouldering memberships that were stopped on 13 March will be reactivated on 1 July.
- All other memberships will remain “frozen”, unless we can offer more than we know now.
- Did you have a membership on 13 March 2020? You will receive a newsletter on 25 June with very relevant info (such as info about the USC compensation arrangement). Check your email, including the spam folder.
- Didn’t have a membership on 13 March 2020? You can train at USC starting 1 July, with one of the Summer Memberships valid in July & August.
- Do you have an Open Air Membership with an end date after 30 June 2020? That subscription will automatically be changed to a Fitness Summer Membership.
- Fitness will move back indoors completely starting 1 July.
- Group fitness will partly continue outdoors.
- The timetables for all sports as well as the fees for the Summer Memberships will be online on 25 June.
- A reservation will be required for all visits to USC. You can make a reservation via the timetable on your sports page.
- In order for everyone to have the opportunity to train, we will limit the number of reservations you can make.
Please note: all of the above is still subject to change. You will hear from us on 25 June. Fingers crossed!
Update 3 June
And then things changed again… It looks like you can train indoors again at USC from 1 July. How that will work? Nobody knows. This is where we are at:
- We will continue our Open Air Membership until 1 July.
- We will lower the membership fees slightly every Monday morning at 9.00, so you can continue to join USC Open Air at an attractive rate at least until 1 July!
- Do you already have an Open Air Membership with an end date after 1 July? In due time, we will change your Open Air Membership to another membership with which you can continue training.
- We expect to have more certainty about our reopening no earlier than the last week of June.
- As soon as we have that certainty, we will inform you about our plans as of 1 July.
- Are you in for a compensation arrangement? As soon as we have certainty about reopening, you can expect a newsletter.
We are REALLY looking forward to our reopening!
Update 1 June
Eetcafé Oerknal is open again :-) Join us for a drink at our amazing, sunny terrace at sportcentrum Universum. We have great coffee and a nice lunch menu as well! Or just grab your lunch to-go. You don’t have to make a reservation for a spot on our terrace. We offer a place for you indoors as well, in that case do make a reservation. The weather will be great for the next few days, so come and enjoy the best terrace in Amsterdam East while you still can!
Making a reservation: 020-5258950 or via Facebook messenger.
Update 28 May
It’s been an emotional rollercoaster, with a positive looping yesterday evening. We can slowly start hoping for our reopening per 1 July 2020. Fingers crossed. However, a lot is still unclear. That’s why we are asking you, again, to wait patiently for another update which will follow somewhere next week. Regarding the USC Open Air program: this will continue until 30 June at least! So don’t hesitate to get that Open Air Membership :-). We will keep you posted!
Update 20 May
Update 14 May
- We’ve noticed that the newsletters we sent to USC members in the past few days have not been delivered properly. We are working on the problem and will try to send the newsletters again on Friday 15 May. Please check your spam folder as well. No newsletter in your inbox tomorrow? Send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- USC members with a basketball, futsal or indoor hockey membership, as well as those who joined a course in period 3 (except for tennis, yoga, tai chi and slacklining), will receive a newsletter update on 20 or 21 May.
Update 13 May
Starting 18 May, USC will offer an extensive outdoor program: USC Open Air! With an Open Air Membership you can book all workouts in the Open Air program. Keep an eye on our website!
Update 8 May
After dealing with our disappointment, we got going again today. These are the facts. Sports indoors won’t be possible until 1 September. But we can start outdoors on 11 May already. So we’ve been thinking. Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Coming Tuesday 12 May or Wednesday 13 May all USC members with a valid (course)membership will receive a newsletter with specific information about their (course)membership. Including information regarding the arrangements for (course)members. Check your mail (including your spam folder)!
- This Monday 11 May the tennis courses of course period 3 will restart at USC Tennis & Padel. Course members have already been informed. Members with a valid tennis membership can book a court again starting 11 May. Purchasing a tennis membership as well as single court rent will probably be possible again starting 18 May.
- Starting 18 May, USC will offer an extensive outdoor program. USC Open Air! More info will follow a.s.a.p.
USC reopens. But the doors stay closed. Of course we had hoped to open those doors way sooner. Of course all of our instructors can’t wait to have you back in our studios. But there is some positive news. We’ll be able to see some of our members in real life again very soon. That’s one step in the right direction. Hang in!
Update 7 May
We are taking a day to recover from that massive setback. Tomorrow we will post an update with our plans for the upcoming period!
Update 25 April
The intelligent lockdown continues. At least until 20 May. In the meantime, we will do everything we can to prepare for a smooth reopening. Which sports can we offer in the first phase? How many people can train at the same time? How will we manage this? One of the sports that we see fit for that first phase is fitness. Individually. Maintaining distance. Without guidance. It’s quite an organizational challenge for the USC. And we will need your support, patience and understanding. Now, and when we reopen. Because we won’t be able to all run in at the same time…
In order to manage the crowd in our fitness, we will work with a booking system when we reopen. You might already know it if you ever joined group fitness classes. You’ll need a password to book a timeslot. Don’t have one yet? Make sure to get it via forgot password.
It’s tough. Without you. Stay strong. ❤️
Update 20 April
Getting a little excited? I know we are. Who knows if we are going to reopen soon? Either way, you can expect a fresh newsletter in your inbox on Thursday 23 April or Friday 24 April. Aren’t you receiving that (yet)? Check your spam folder, or subscribe to our newsletter. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to susbcribe. Write you soon!
Update 10 April
While we are hoping to reopen our facilities ASAP, we are mentally preparing for another long period in which we have to miss you guys. In the meantime we’re not just sitting still, and we remain positive as always. We are preparing scenarios in which we reopen our facilities gradually, keeping necessary precautions in mind. We’re offering more and more Stay at home workouts. A lot of handiwork is being done at all USC locations (check it out!). And most importantly: we are thinking about you as a member. That’s why all of our (course) members have received a USC newsletter today. Didn’t get it, but you should have? Please check your spam folder. Can’t find it there either? Mail us: email@example.com.
For now, we’re asking for your patience. With corona. With the world. And with the USC.
Stay strong. ❤️
Update 1 April
The measures to stop the corona virus from spreading have been extended until 28 April. This means USC will be closed at least until then. In the meantime, we are preparing both mentally and logistically for an even longer period of closure… Hang in there!
Update 26 March
We don’t have an answer yet to all your questions about memberships and courses. That’s because a lot is still unclear for us. But, we have decided on the following:
- All USC members will be included in some sort of arrangement. Whether you play in our futsal competition, joined a yoga course in period 3, or have a year membership to our fitness. Due to the complexity of our organization, with all its courses, different sports and memberships, it isn’t possible to draw up one single arrangement that applies to all. But believe me: we’re working on it!
- In April, we won’t collect for direct debit memberships.
USC is heading for some tough times. Of course we’ll remain positive, as that is what suits a sports organization. However, we do need your support and your patience. Give us some time to come up with a plan. As soon as we know where we stand regarding our closure, you’ll be hearing from us.
We miss you guys. A lot.
Update 20 March
With our Stay at Home workouts, USC brings some much needed distraction to your home. It can’t be easy, spending so many hours in a room of just 12m2 (or a little more, if you’re lucky). Anyways: since we all have to stay at home for a while, let’s spend our time as comfortable and useful as possible. And so we’ve asked all our instructors to make Stay at home workouts.
A wish we’ve had for quite some time now, has become reality in just a matter of days: video workouts! Many instructors have already send us some amazing videos. There are some classes on Instagram and YouTube already, and over 40 of you guys just joined the first LIVE #stayathome workout! The live classes are offered – free of charge of course – in the Facebook group USC Groepsfitness to both members as well as non-members.
Check the full offer + schedule for live classes of the Stay at Home workouts. Stay home. Stay safe. Stay fit! ❤️
Update 19 March
Starting today, you can reach USC by phone during the following hours;
- Sportcentrum Universum (all USC related questions, for all locations) | Monday – Friday between 11.00 and 13.00 on: 020 5258930.
- USC Tennis (for questions regarding tennis and padel) | Monday – Friday between 11.00 and 13.00 on: 020 5258932.
If you have a (very) urgent question, send an email to our member services: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to stay fit while at home? Check our Stay at home workouts! We keep working on more, so you can try a different workout every time. We’re also starting LIVE #stayathome workouts via our Facebook group USC Groepsfitness.
Update 17 March
We understand you might have some questions regarding your membership or course. However, we don’t really have answers to those questions yet. We will inform you as soon as possible. Please be prepared for those answers to take a while, just like most things in our society at this point. For now: stay strong, stay healthy and stay at home!
Update 13 March
All USC locations will be closed per 13 March due to the corona virus. This means there will be no USC sports program at any of our locations as well as external locations until further notice.
HvA and UvA have cancelled all their educational activities until the end of March, just like the other Dutch higher education institutes. NOC*NSF has decided to cancel all (organized) sport in the entire country. Therefore USC has made the decision to close its locations starting today and cancel all sports activities.
Important information for you as USC visitor:
- We don’t have an answer yet to all questions regarding current memberships as well as courses. We’ll let you know when we know more.
- The online sale of the 4th course period will not start coming Monday.
- Any further questions? The front desk at Universum can be contacted from Monday to Friday 09.00-17.00. You can also send an email to our member services.
Update 12 March
After consulting with the UvA, we’ve decided to close all USC locations per Friday 13 March. This means there will be no sports program at any of our locations for now.
Update 12 March
Starting today, we’ll keep you posted on this page. We still follow the UvA advice and measures.
Update 4 March
USC is monitoring the situation concerning the corona virus closely. We’ll stick to UvA and HvA policy when taking any measures. UvA and HvA are following the instructions of RIVM and GGD. For you as USC visitor, but for anyone really, it’s important to take care of your personal hygiene. In case of any symptoms, contact your general practitioner. You can find the latest information on the UvA website.