An amazing 14m high climbing wall with fresh new routes every week! Come and climb at USC Universum, located at Amsterdam Science Park.
Climbing at USC
No experience? Check our climbing courses first!
14m high wall, 18 ropes, level 3 to 7C, great routes always.
Including access to the indoor boulder gym.
Corona proof: mandatory reservations and additional house rules.
Which membership do you choose?
you’re stuck with us for a year, after which you can cancel your membership monthly.
a little more expensive but a lot more flexible, this membership can be canceled monthly from scratch.
10x entry to the climbing gym, to be used within one year.
1x entry to the climbing gym, valid one week.
CLIMBING COURSE (check it out)
various climbing course for beginners and advanced climbers, of 4 or 5 weeks/classes.
* you can only get a climbing membership if you have permission of USC to climb. If not, check ‘Access policy’ to see what your options are.
Reservations and checking in
- You need a reservation for every visit to the USC sports program
- You can only make a reservation as a pair. Check below how to make a reservation.
- Both climbers need a valid USC climbing membership.
- You can check the availability of the climbing gym in the timetable above. Might be handy if you want to purchase a 1x climbing entry which you need to use within a week.
- You can make reservations 6 days in advance.
- You can make a maximum of 2 reservations in the consecutive 6 days. But, as soon as your first reservation is over, you can make a new one. So you can still work out more than twice a week (if there are free spots)!
- Please book max. 1 timeslot per day.
- You can choose how to enter USC facilities: with your finger scan or with the My USC – mobile access app. Download the My USC – mobile access app: Android and iOS.
- If you use the My USC – mobile access app, you can easily scan the QR code at the entrance. This way (or by using your finger scan) you’re automatically checked in.
- You can enter 15 minutes before the start of your timeslot. You can enter up to 30 minutes after the start of your reserved timeslot. After that, your reservation will expire and you can’t get in.
- There is a 15-minute changeover time between reservations to avoid crowds in the hall. Make sure you are no longer climbing at the end of your timeslot and leave the hall on time.
- Read all reservation and house rules thoroughly before coming to USC! We can only keep things safe together.
Book a climbing session
- Book your session online at My USC, max. 1 timeslot per day.
- When you book online, you’ll end up at Racketsport. This is correct.
- Choose Universum at ‘Select a site’.
- Choose Klimmen at ‘Sport’.
- Click on the timeslot you want to book and fill out your booking.
Cancelling and no show fee
Booked a class, but can’t make it? Please cancel in advance: our capacity is limited!
- Cancel up to one hour before the start of your reservation (but earlier is encouraged!).
- Are you not cancelling (on time)? Then you risk a no show fee of €3,-.
- Are you not paying the no show fee? In that case you can’t make a reservation/work out for 2 weeks.
Cancel your booking
- The climbing gym is accessible only if you have permission from USC or if you’re a member of ASAC.
- We cannot scan member cards of other climbing gyms. Did you obtain your K2 certificate? Send a proof (with name and date) to email@example.com!
- If you are an experienced climber, you can get access if you demonstrate your belaying and climbing skills to one of our USC climbing instructors. Please fill in the form under ‘Belaying check’ for an appointment. You have to bring your own climbing partner.
Appointment belaying check
If you are an experienced climber, you can get access if you demonstrate your belaying and climbing skills to one of our USC climbing instructors. You have to bring your own climbing partner.
We think your privacy is important, read all about it in our privacy statement.
House rules USC climbing gym
- For climbing you need permission of USC.
- You can apply for a belaying check using the form at ‘Appointment belaying check’ on this page.
- Climbing is at your own risk.
- Check the online timetable for the availability of the climbing gym and to make a reservation (mandatory!).
- Store your kit in the closet.
- Last climber of the day? Please coil the ropes.
- No glass in the climbing gym.
- It’s not allowed to climb shirtless.
- It’s not allowed to climb with bare feet.
- Stay focused on both your own and other people’s safety.
- Always check your partner before and after a climb.
- You can tie in with a direct 8-knot or double bowline.
- Give other climbers enough space.
- Always have one hand on the braking rope.
- Use the 5-step or tunneling technique for belaying.
- The maximum height without a rope is the horizontal line of the first bolts.
- Don’t use unnecessary equipment on your harness.
- Never untie the safety system during belaying or climbing.
- Don’t wear jewelry during climbing.
- It’s forbidden to climb under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Additional lead climbing rules
- For lead climbing both climber and belayer need additional permission of the USC.
- Give other climbers enough space.
- Clip all bolts. The usage of bolt 1 is optional.
- Make use of a safety mat.
- Always put the rope back in the two snappers of the top anchor.
- You can get a rope at the front desk for the lead climbing bridge.
- Lead climbing on rope 1 and 17 is not allowed.
- Lead climbing is not allowed when there are 6 teams or more in the climbing gym.
ASAC | student climbing association
Since 2010 you can find the Amsterdamse Studenten Alpen Club in the USC climbing gym. There are several club nights. ASAC organizes their Open Club Championships at Universum every year. As an ASAC member you get a discount on one-time entries and memberships. ASAC regularly organizes weekend trips abroad as well as other events. Check asac.nl
If you don’t have any experience or haven’t obtained your NKBV klimvaardigheidsbewijs yet, you can do a climbing course at USC. We also offer courses for more experienced climbers, or when you want to learn indoor lead climbing!